Not everyone will need to hire a tax attorney. But if you find yourself in a more complex financial situation, you may benefit from hiring an expert. Tax law is a specialized field, which is why you may want to consider hiring an attorney with a lot of tax experience. At Hillhurst Tax Group, our team of attorneys has the knowledge needed to effectively represent taxpayers in all IRS and state tax issues.
If filing your taxes is a straightforward process, you may not need to hire an attorney. But when things get complicated, a tax specialist can give you the guidance that you need to avoid owing more than you need to.
Here are 6 common reasons why you might need to hire a tax attorney:
1) You are starting a new business. A tax attorney can help guide you through the process of which entity type (such as limited liability corporation, C-corporation, or limited partnership.) This choice can have a big effect on your taxes, and an expert in the field will be able to help you choose the best for your business needs.
2) You own a business. After starting their business, it’s a good idea for business owners to keep a tax attorney’s name on file. A tax attorney can help business owners determine what they owe, and stay up-to-date on frequent tax updates.
3) You are buying or selling a business. A business attorney will not have the same level of expertise as a tax attorney. Having the guidance of a tax specialist can make a difference in what you end up owing.
4) You want to stop a levy from the IRS. As long as we have the required documents, we typically stop levies or garnishments within 24 to 48 hours.
5) You want to appeal a tax audit. An audit from the IRS doesn’t necessarily mean that you will need an attorney. However, if you would like to appeal your audit, or you are being taken to court by the IRS, you will likely benefit from the help of a tax attorney.
6) You owe the IRS back taxes. Owing back taxes doesn’t mean you will always need to hire an attorney. The IRS has payment plans that you can set up yourself on their website. But, if you owe a lot of back taxes, you may want the help of a tax attorney to help you set up an agreement with the government.
Have more questions? Feel free to give us a call. Our support staff will answer your questions and start you on the road to getting the answers you need.